Officials cut treatment program for students facing drug or alcohol sanctions

A University-sponsored program offering treatment options for students facing drug or alcohol sanctions never got off the ground after no students expressed interest, officials said.

Officials announced the program, called Pathways to Recovery, last summer, as an initiative to promote recovery from substance abuse for students while they’re still in college. But no students opted into the program last academic year – leading officials to scrap the rehabilitation program, University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said.

“In order for the program to work, there was first a need to identify faculty and staff mentors and then have students who chose to participate in this program,” Csellar said in an email. “While several faculty and staff volunteered their time to serve as mentors, no students chose to participate in the program.”

Instead, Csellar said students can sign up for the Collegiate Recovery Community, a recovery group comprised of students who meet “on a regular basis” with staffers in the Student Support and Family Engagement Office to discuss their treatment plans. The group existed previously but rebranded with a new name this year, she said.

She said students in the group have access to an on-campus “safe space” called the Serenity Shack, where events and meetings are held.