Officials rule out shooting threat after multiple investigations

Metropolitan Police Department officers arrested a student in Lafayette Hall Sunday morning after he threatened to “shoot up” the University, but officials said multiple investigations found no credible threat to GW.

At about 7:25 a.m., a witness entered the GW Hospital and said a student told them that he was planning to “shoot up George Washington University” and has the “capabilities of getting a gun,” according to an MPD report.

The George Washington Police Department was contacted and referred the incident to MPD, who responded to the scene. MPD arrested the student for threatening to kidnap or injure a person, the report states.

Darrell Darnell, the senior associate vice president for safety and security, said the department received a tip about possible threats made against the University and, “taking the tip very seriously,” immediately referred the information to MPD.

MPD arrested the student and investigated the incident. Officers found “no immediate threat,” Darnell said.

He added that GWPD “conducted further investigation” into the incident using the University’s behavioral threat assessment team, which assesses safety, security and behavioral issues.

“We found no credible threat to the University,” Darnell said. “Safety and security is our highest priority. The GW community is encouraged to report suspicious activity to GWPD. Tips are always taken seriously.”

The Hatchet is not naming the student because the threat was not deemed credible.

A misdemeanor initial status hearing for the student is scheduled for Oct. 15, but the suspect is pleading not guilty, according to court documents.