Magnolia Bakery opens shop at Union Station

An employee frosts a chocolate cupcake at Magnolia Bakery’s new location at Union Station.

A New York City-based chain bakery known for its banana pudding and cupcakes opened its first location in the District at Union Station Monday.

Magnolia Bakery was made famous for its classic and chocolate banana puddings ($4.25) – made of vanilla wafers, fresh bananas and vanilla pudding – and other baked goods.

The D.C. location is Magnolia Bakery’s fourth location in the country outside of New York City. Other locations include Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles, along with international locations in places like the United Arab Emirates, Mexico and Jordan.

The small storefront features baby blue walls with desserts in display boxes atop a black and white tiled floor. Behind the counter, customers can watch as the staff frosts cupcakes and assembles other treats.

Along with its two staple banana pudding flavors, the bakery will offer a monthly featured flavor. September’s featured flavor is peanut butter, and the shop will offer pumpkin gingersnap in October.

To celebrate the opening, Magnolia Bakery will give out a small classic banana pudding to the first 50 guests each day through Sept. 15.

[gwh_image id=”1065032″ credit=”Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”]A miniature version of key lime cheesecake ($7.95) is available at Magnolia Bakery’s new location at Union Station. [/gwh_image]

But if banana pudding doesn’t sound appealing, Magnolia Bakery also offers an excess of other baked goods ranging from cupcakes ($3.95) to mini pies ($12), and breakfast bites like muffins ($3.50) and scones ($3.75).

Cupcakes come in both classic flavors of vanilla and chocolate, as well as specialty flavors ($3.95), which rotate daily. The s’mores cupcake is served on Mondays and the hummingbird, a banana, pineapple and pecan cake with cream cheese icing topped with toasted pecans, is Sunday’s featured treat.

Before hopping on a train or bus, you can also satisfy your caffeine craving and pair drinks like vanilla and hazelnut iced lattes ($4.50), hot tea ($2.50) and chai lattes ($4.25) with your dessert.

Sara Gramling, the chain’s vice president of public relations, said that because all goods are made “from scratch on the premises,” much of the interior is used for the kitchen and icing stations. The shop has a “grab-and-go” nature and limited seating, she said.

But Gramling also said that Union Station is the “perfect” spot because of the millions of tourists, locals and commuters that frequent the transportation hub.

“Whether you’re looking for some desserts to celebrate the end of the week, are looking to stop by to try our banana pudding or need a birthday cake for a weekend celebration, we’ll be an easy stop coming in and out of the city,” Gramling said.

Magnolia Bakery is open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday noon to 6 p.m.