Women’s basketball reveals Atlantic 10 schedule

Women’s basketball announced its full Atlantic 10 slate Tuesday to round out the release of its 2018-19 schedule.

The 16-game conference schedule features three nationally televised matchups against Fordham, Saint Louis and Dayton.

The Colonials finished 10–6 in conference play last year to end the regular season in fifth place. GW captured the A-10 Championship title as the No. 5 seed before dropping to Ohio State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

GW will kick off conference play Jan. 5 against Fordham at the Smith Center. In addition to the Rams, seven other opponents will travel to Foggy Bottom this season. The Colonials will take on VCU, Davidson, Saint Joseph’s and St. Bonaventure in D.C.

The team will face Dayton, George Mason and Duquesne both at home and on the road.

Last season, the squad won both of its regular season contests against George Mason, but dropped both matches to Dayton and lost its only contest of the season against Duquesne in the game’s final minutes.

The team will travel to Rhode Island, La Salle, Saint Louis, Massachusetts and Richmond during the 2018-19 season. The Colonials came out on top in four of six games against these opponents last season. Both losses came at home against Saint Louis and Richmond.

In their longest stretch on the road, the Colonials will play four of five games between Feb. 3 and Feb. 20 on their opponents’ home courts. GW finished 8–5 on the road last season.

The Colonials will end the regular season on Richmond’s turf March 2. The squad also faced off against the Spiders in its final regular season game of the 2017-18 season, when Richmond defeated GW by 13 points.

The squad’s nonconference schedule, announced in July, features seven new opponents from last season.

The defending A-10 champions open their season on the road against James Madison – the teams’ first meeting since 2007 – Nov. 8 and host Princeton three days later for their home opener. The Colonials fell to the Tigers by 20 points when they traveled to New Jersey to open their season last year.

Returners from last season’s nonconference schedule include Maryland, South Florida and Mercer, which all made the top-25 in the Associated Press rankings following their performances last season.

The Colonials will return six players from last year’s roster this season and add four first-year players and two transfers.

Full 2018-19 women’s basketball schedule

Nov. 8 at James Madison
Nov. 11 vs. Princeton
Nov. 14 vs. Maryland
Nov. 18 at Iona
Nov. 22-23 at Cancun Challenge (Cancun, Mexico) vs. Georgia Tech/NC State
Nov. 27 vs. Towson
Dec. 2 vs. Monmouth
Dec. 6 vs. Villanova
Dec. 9 at South Florida
Dec. 21 vs. Mercer
Dec. 29 at William & Mary
Jan. 1 vs. Memphis
Jan. 5 vs. Fordham*
Jan. 9 at Rhode Island*
Jan. 12 vs. Dayton*
Jan. 16 at LaSalle*
Jan. 19 vs. George Mason*
Jan. 23 vs. VCU*
Jan. 27 at Duquesne*
Jan. 31 vs. Davidson*
Feb. 3 at Saint Louis*
Feb. 6 at George Mason*
Feb. 10 vs. Saint Joseph’s*
Feb. 17 at Dayton*
Feb. 20 at Massachusetts*
Feb. 24 vs. St. Bonaventure*
Feb. 27 vs. Duquesne*
March 2 at Richmond*

*=A-10 matchup