GSPM offers new scholarship for Portuguese speakers

Portuguese-speaking students in the Graduate School of Political Management will soon be able to qualify for a new need-based scholarship.

The fund, granted by Mauricio Moura, a political consultant and alumnus from Brazil, provides scholarship money to students who are native Portuguese speakers, according to a release Wednesday. The scholarship – which covers full-tuition – aims to provide more political training to people from Portuguese-speaking countries.

“We are excited because of the opportunity this scholarship gives us to attract more students from Portuguese-speaking countries to our programs and to assist a student who would not otherwise be able to attend GW,” GSPM director Lara Brown said in the release.

The scholarship will cover the 36 credit hour master’s degree program expected to be completed over a maximum of four semesters.

Moura received a master’s degree of professional studies in political management and previously served as an adjunct professor in the school. He also serves on the school’s board of advisors.

“I strongly believe that this opportunity will not only spread knowledge and expertise throughout different regions but will also help strengthen ties among the George Washington University community and the Portuguese-speaking countries,” Moura said in the release.