Cross country snags top spots at Mount St. Mary’s Duals

Junior+Suzanne+Dannheim+runs+at+the+Atlantic+10+Championship+in+October.+
Junior Suzanne Dannheim runs at the Atlantic 10 Championship in October.

Updated: Sept. 4, 2018 at 4:19 p.m.

Men’s and women’s cross country took first and second, respectively, at the Mount St. Mary’s Duals Friday to open the 2018 season.

On the men’s side, the team earned 44 points to come in first out of five competitors. Senior Andrew Weber captured the individual title for the meet, crossing the finish line in 15:44.80 to pace the field. He is the first Colonial to cross the finish line first in a cross country meet since 2014.

The Colonials had four runners – including Weber – place in the top 10. Sophomore Jackson Cronin and junior Colin Wills finished within 76 one-hundredths of a second of each other to end in fourth and fifth place, respectively, with times of 15:53.21 and 15:53.97. Junior Jon Dooling’s finishing time of 16:07.93 was good for 10th place.

The women’s team ended the meet in second place with 33 total points out of six teams. The Colonials were paced by junior Suzanne Dannheim, who crossed the finish line in second place with a time of 18:25.95. Senior Madison Yerke’s time of 18:35.46 made her the third runner to finish the meet. Seniors Halley Brown (18:59.90) and Brigid Prial (19:11.06) took seventh and ninth places.

Both teams return to action Sept. 14 when they hit the road to compete at the Adidas XC Challenge in North Carolina.

This post has been updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the cross country program at GW began in 2014. The track and field program began in 2014, but cross country has records dating back to 1991. We regret this error.