Gymnastics alumna rejoins team as assistant coach

Chelsea Raineri, a 2017 graduate and four-year gymnast, will rejoin her former team as an assistant coach, according to a release Wednesday.

She competed for the Colonials from 2014-17 and helped the team to East Atlantic Gymnastics League championships in 2015 and 2017.

“I couldn’t be more excited to add Chelsea to our staff,” head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham said in the release. “Her passion for GW is unmatched.”

The hiring follows the departure of former assistant coach Jason Vonk, who accepted the same position at Georgia in June. Vonk and assistant coach Stephanie Stoicovy Worrell were named Southeast Region Assistant Coaches of the Year by the National Association of Collegiate Gymnast Coaches/Women for the 2017-18 season.

During her career, Raneri earned First Team All-EAGL honors in vault four times and in floor exercise twice. She was also named EAGL Rookie of the Year during her freshman campaign in 2014, making her the first Colonial to receive major honors from the conference since GW joined in 2005.

Raineri’s most successful season came in her senior year, when she became the first GW gymnast to win an NCAA Regional title with a share of the gold medal on vault with a score of 9.875. Her top finish qualified her for NCAA Championships, making her just the third gymnast in program history to compete on the national stage.

Raineri is the second recent alumnus to be hired in this summer along with Matt Lange, who joined the cross country and track coaching staff in July after finishing his eligibility with GW in the 2017-18 season.