Ten firetrucks respond to Elliott School after report of smoke in basement

Keegan Mullen | Staff Photographer
Ten firetrucks responded to the Elliott School of International Affairs early Monday after receiving a report of smoke in the school’s basement.

Updated: Aug. 27, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.

Multiple fire units responded to the Elliott School of International Affairs early Monday morning after receiving a report of smoke in the school’s basement.

D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Vito Maggiolo said 10 firetrucks and about 50 firefighters responded to the scene at 6:06 a.m. to investigate the report and found a malfunctioning fan belt. By approximately 6:15 a.m., Maggiolo said only about two units remained at the scene.

[gwh_image id=”1063398″ credit=”Keegan Mullen | Staff Photographer” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”]About 50 firefighters were dispatched to the scene and found a malfunctioning fan belt in the Elliott School.[/gwh_image]

Maggiolo said it is customary to close down streets when firetrucks first arrive at a scene, but did not have any information about which streets were closed Monday morning.

Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Karimah Bilal said she did not have any information about the incident.

University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar did not immediately return a request for comment.