Robles takes over women’s rowing

Marci Robles will lead the women’s rowing program, athletic director Tanya Vogel announced in a release Monday.

Robles spent the past year as an assistant coach at Rutgers. She helped the Scarlet Knights to a program-best seventh place finish at the Big 10 Championship and also served as a recruiting coordinator for the squad.

The hire comes just more than a month after former head coach Eric Carcich departed the program to take the same spot at Cornell. Carcich previously led the team for nine seasons.

An assistant coach for the program has not yet been named, according to the athletic department staff directory.

Before her season at Rutgers, Robles served as the men’s rowing head coach at Jacksonville from 2014 to 2017. She coached two boats, the Varsity 8 and 2nd Varsity 8, and the team clinched a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship in 2015 under her leadership.

Robles spent three seasons as an assistant coach for the women’s rowing team at Gonzaga prior to her stint at Jacksonville. She helped the Bulldogs win the 2013 West Coast Conference Championship and later make their first trip to the NCAA Championship. The Varsity 4 boat snagged the West Coast Conference Championship title and the Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship crown in 2012 under Robles’ guidance.

Robles started her collegiate coaching career across the District at Georgetown as an assistant coach for the Hoyas from 2009 to 2011.

“It is always terrific when we can bring a DMV native back to the District,” Vogel said of Robles.

As a student-athlete, Robles spent four years as the coxswain for the men’s rowing team at Boston College.

Robles inherits a women’s rowing program that placed third in the Atlantic-10 Championship in May. The Colonials medaled in all four of their races to earn a program-high 44 points at the regatta.