Manage your stress with these tips to carry you through the semester

CorePower%2C+the+largest+chain+of+yoga+studios+in+the+United+States%2C+boasts+four+locations+in+the+District+alone.+
CorePower, the largest chain of yoga studios in the United States, boasts four locations in the District alone.

If you fit the profile of a typical student, you’re going to have a lot on your plate – even without counting classes.

A dizzying array of student organization meetings, homework and other activities can give you a rude awakening if you don’t prepare before the semester begins, so check out these tips before your schedule gets too crazy:

List out your stress
Nothing beats the peace of mind that comes from checking off a box on a to-do list. Beyond lists, there are other organizational options that can prevent you from pulling your hair out.

For those who prefer a written schedule, Moleskine and At-A-Glance notebooks have areas for your monthly and weekly plans, which you can get from Amazon or the campus bookstore for about $15. You can scribble every monthly commitment into the calendar section and reserve more detailed, hour-by-hour events into the weekly section. That way, you’ll be able to keep tabs on plans for the near future while still checking off the boxes on your daily agenda.

If you’re constantly on your computer and would rather track your daily meetings online, try Google Calendar or Evernote. Whether you’re scheduling a meeting, planning an event in advance or jotting down a quick note, these apps will keep you on track. Google Calendar can even send you push alerts as a reminder of upcoming commitments and deadlines.

Find some zen
Sometimes instead of laying your responsibilities on the table, it can be better to block out the noise.

Meditation can be a great way to clear your head for a few minutes before you head back to your responsibilities. Students may find peace with watercolors, a coloring book or a paint set. Whether or not you can draw inside the lines, filling a colorless page with vibrant hues can brighten up your day and the page.

If your shoulders are most relaxed from scents, oil diffusers can waft away all the worries. Lavender and sage are easy picks for aromatherapy, and convenient size options mean it won’t be a hassle for residence hall living.

Let the University take away tension
Sometimes, stress management can be taught with activities right on campus.

For starters, you can choose from a range of different lifestyle, sport and physical activity courses, which are free, one-credit classes typically taught twice a week. Courses like dance conditioning, fencing and yoga can be found on the course registration page, and many classes still contain open spots. The 50-minute sessions are for credit, so you’ll be required to attend and relax.

If tension has turned to knots, the University offers massages in the Lerner Health and Wellness Center. Sessions with a licensed massage therapist start at $78 for students, cheaper than you’d pay at most spas, and you can book an appointment ahead of time online or at the Campus Recreation desk.

Ease your mind off campus
Staying on campus can mean you are too close to your worries, which can cause even more stress.

If you’re looking for a challenging workout to take your mind off school, CorePower Yoga offers a free weeklong trial when you sign up with your email for the first time. After a free week, you can pay $89 for unlimited classes for your first month. CorePower is the largest chain of yoga studios in the United States, and there are four locations in the District alone. While one hot yoga session will surely melt away your stressors, CorePower also offers a mix of cardio, strength and conditioning classes close to campus in Georgetown.

For those hoping to try out a few different exercise facilities before committing to one, sign up for ClassPass. The program allows you to take classes around the District at 345 different exercise studios. You can sign up for monthly passes starting at $45 or even try out 13 classes per month for $125.