Haynes Brown leads charge in men’s soccer shutout over American

Men’s soccer players congratulate sophomore forward Oscar Haynes Brown after a goal Monday.

After recording a hat-trick in men’s soccer’s season opener Friday, Oscar Haynes Brown picked up where he left off Monday afternoon.

The sophomore forward netted four goals at Mount Vernon field on the team’s way to a 6–0 blowout over visiting American.

Haynes Brown, the reigning Atlantic 10 Player of the Week, has now recorded a league-leading 15 points – tallied through seven goals and one assist – in just two games.

“I’ve been here a long time, I can’t remember anybody starting with seven goals,” head coach Craig Jones said. “That’s the reason I recruited him.”

The squad’s six goals marks the most in a single game since Jones took over as head coach in 2012.

Haynes Brown scored in the 6th, 24th, 45th and 68th minutes, while junior midfielder Drini Redzepi aided three goals, giving him the team-leading number of assists.

“I’ve been taking my chances, and at the end of the day I’m happy about it,” Haynes Brown said.

The Colonials wasted no time after the first touch Monday. In just 24 minutes of play, the team surged ahead to a 3–0 advantage.

Senior forward Dylan Lightbourn netted one goal to further the Colonials lead, and attributed the team’s energy to Jones’ pre-game speech.

“He got us fired up, that really helped, we all came out firing and everybody performed from the start,” Lightbourn said. “It was a big exclamation point that we came out strong and didn’t start sluggish like we did against Stony Brook.”

When GW took on the Seawolves Friday, it took the squad 56 minutes to score its first goal before eventually winning 3–2 against Stony Brook.

GW capitalized on their size advantage, winning headers and dominating 50-50 balls all afternoon. They outshot the Eagles 23–6 in the contest.

“One of the keys from practice this weekend was to come out as strong and as fast as we could,” Jones said. “Our first half was terrific and I have no complaints. It was great.”

The Eagles pulled their starters after GW’s third goal.

Even while creating a 5–0 deficit in the first half, GW did not capitalize on all its chances at the goal as the team launched 13 shots on goal in the first half alone.

A red card issued to American in the 46th minute left the visitors with only 10 men on the field, as all the substitutes had already been inserted into the game.

GW attempted 10 shots on goal in the second half, but the half saw just one goal as both sides relied heavily on their benches. The Colonials wrapped up a clean 6–0 win when Haynes Brown touched home a free kick from Redzepi.

The Colonials will close out their three-game homestand Saturday against another Patriot League foe – the Lehigh Hawks. Kick off is set for 4 p.m.