Women’s soccer defeats Delaware, extends win streak to three games

Sam Frey | Staff Photographer
Freshman midfielder Alexandra Filipkowski crashes into a Delaware attacker while going for the ball during a game Thursday.

Women’s soccer earned its third win of the season in as many games Thursday, securing a 2–0 decision against Delaware at Mount Vernon field.

The Colonials (3-0-0) opened up a three-game homestand with a victory against the Blue Hens (0-2-1). After a slow offensive start for both teams, GW took command of the game in the second half to secure the win.

First-year head coach Michelle Demko said the team’s hot start gives them positive momentum to build on as the program continues to adjust to a new coaching staff.

“It’s always good to win and win on your home field and so in terms of that, we will enjoy this today,” Demko said.

Sophomore midfielder Alexis Williams continued her early-season offensive dominance, scoring her third goal of the year in the second half to put GW on the board 1-0. Williams was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week last week for her stand-out offensive play, which she attributed to her intense summer training regimen.

“Honestly last season wasn’t as good for me, but I wanted to keep an open mind to be ready and just do whatever I can do and control what I can control,” Williams said.

The teams opened play in a slow struggle to get shots off during the first half, with GW tallying three shots and Delaware attempting two.

GW gained momentum in the second half after a yellow card was given to Delaware in the 58th minute. On the next possession, Williams headed a cross kick from senior forward Sofia Pavon into the back of the net for the first point of the game.

Williams said the team recognized gaps in Delaware’s defense during halftime that allowed them to stage an offensive breakthrough.

“We realized that the flanks were really open, so instead of taking a lot of touches on the side we tried to cross it and just go in one touch,” she said. “Sof found me and she just took a touch and played me in.”

Minutes later, Pavon tallied another assist with a pass to redshirt junior defender Megan McCormick, who tapped in the goal to put GW on top 2-0.

Senior goalkeeper Anna Tapen, who has let up only one goal through three games, recorded six total saves in the shutout against a Delaware squad that has not scored any goals through three regular season contests. Delaware fumbled two opportunities to get on the board with two missed penalty kicks.

In her first year starting in goal, Tapen said she credits the smooth transition into a starting spot to her teammates.

“I’m really focused on communicating with my defense and making sure we are all on the same page,” she said.

Demko said that despite today’s victory, she hopes to see her team improve their speed of play in turnovers throughout their stretch at home, whether they just won the ball or just lost it.

“We have to have a higher awareness of those transitional moments,” she said. “Sometimes when we break pressure we have a tendency to sort of slow down and scan the environment and that is a critical moment in the game where if we break pressure then we have to find a different gear.”

The Colonials will stay at home to take on Stetson Sunday at 1 p.m.