Weekend outlook – Catch a summer blockbuster at a free outdoor film screening

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
Farragut Square will host a screening of “Black Panther” Friday.

Take advantage of outdoor spaces around the District this weekend with a free movie screening, expansive food festival and stadium concert playing the sounds of summer.

Friday

‘Black Panther’ screening at Farragut Square

If you missed this year’s biggest superhero movie in theaters or just want to watch it again, you can catch “Black Panther” at an outdoor screening in Farragut Square Friday. The Golden Triangle has put up movies in the park each Friday night this summer, and the Marvel flick marks the last screening of the season. The film has been on heavy rotation at outdoor showings in D.C. parks this summer, but this week it will play just outside campus limits. Bring a small blanket and arrive early to snag a spot, as this high-profile movie will surely bring in droves of fans to watch it on a big screen.

Farragut Square, 912 17th St. NW. 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. Free.

Saturday

Around the World Food Festival at Freedom Plaza

Celebrate cultures by digging into regional dishes this weekend. The annual Around the World Food Festival includes cuisine from more than 20 countries, including Vietnam, Colombia and Nigeria. Arts and crafts sessions and musical performances will be offered throughout the day, and there will also be an opportunity to shop at booths from several small businesses. While the event is free, VIP tickets are on sale that grant access to a VIP seating area, along with free food tastings and drinks. If you don’t mind lines, this free event is a global smorgasbord you don’t want to miss.

Freedom Plaza, 14th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Free.

Sunday

D.C. World Reggae Festival at RFK Stadium

If you are looking for an energetic night, the first annual D.C. World Reggae Festival will bring island beats and rhythms to RFK Stadium’s Lot 8. This festival’s lineup was curated with the theme, “The Wise Men,” in mind, giving attendees a crash course on pioneering musicians of reggae, like the 1960s band Toots and the Maytals, and Caribbean up-and-comers like Chronixx. Attend for a rare sighting from headliner and popular musician Shabba Ranks, and stay the whole day while trying the variety of bar and food options, including stations for beer, liquor and jerk food.

RFK Stadium Lot 8, 2500 Independence Ave. SE. Noon to 11 p.m. Starts at $69.99.