Smith Center to host WNBA playoff games

Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor
The Smith Center will host the Washington Mystics for their home playoff games later this month.

The Washington Mystics will play home playoff games at the Smith Center, the team announced Tuesday.

The WNBA team clinched a spot in postseason play with a 103–98 win over the Phoenix Mercury Tuesday. A full playoff schedule has not been released yet, but playoffs begin Aug. 21, according to the WNBA website.

The Capital One Arena is currently undergoing a $40 million renovation that will push the team off its normal court for playoffs and shutter the arena at the end of August through September. The renovations include replacing all seats, installing a new sound system and adding new concessions and restaurants.

Games will be held at the Smith Center “barring any schedule conflicts,” according to the release.

Athletic Director Tanya Vogel said she is “thrilled” GW was recognized as a top venue in D.C. to host the games.

“Any time our student-athletes have the opportunity to see the dedication that it takes to reach that elite level is of benefit,” Vogel said.

Vogel declined to give details about if the University would be paid to host the games, but said GW is happy to “attract local and national partners to rent our facilities.”

The playoff games will add to the lineup of professional teams playing at the Smith Center this fall. The women’s national basketball team announced they will stop in Foggy Bottom in September for an exhibition game against Japan.

The Mystics did not return multiple requests for comment.

The team’s final game at Capital One Arena will be Friday against the Los Angeles Sparks. The Mystics will take the court for their last regular season game Aug. 19 on the road against the Minnesota Lynx.