GW not ranked on list of most politically active campuses in nation

Students gather outside the Media and Public Affairs building last September to protest Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ visit to campus. The demonstration was one of several protests students engaged in over the past year.

For the first time in more than a decade, GW was not recognized as one of the most politically active colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review.

The University dropped off the list of “Most Politically Active Students” on the company’s annual college rankings after clocking in at No. 10 last year. Before that, GW held onto the title for four consecutive years.

American University secured the top spot on the list, while Pitzer and Reed colleges ranked No. 2 and 3, respectively. Columbia University, which topped the list last year, fell to No. 6.

Over the past 11 years, GW has been consistently ranked in the list’s top 10.

The politically active ranking is based on students’ self-evaluations of their political awareness on a five-point scale from “very low” to “very high,” according to The Princeton Review.

The change also comes as students have turned out to several major protests and vigils over the past year, including the second iteration of the Women’s March and the “March for Our Lives.”

GW didn’t rank in any of the other 62 categories in Princeton Review’s rankings.