Department of Education concludes probe into GW’s handling of sexual misconduct cases

GW is no longer the subject of a federal Title IX investigation.

The probe, which began nearly a year ago, concluded between June 29 and July 27, according to an online database of pending Title IX investigations by the Department of Education.

The findings of the investigation were not readily available, and a University spokeswoman did not immediately return a request for comment.

The complaint that launched the investigation alleged that officials mishandled a student’s sexual violence case and retaliated against them for reporting an incident.

The end of the investigation coincides with an overhaul of the University’s Title IX policies, which went into effect July 1. The new procedures, which followed the conclusion of an external legal review of GW’s Title IX policies, include a switch to a single investigator instead of a hearing board for Title IX investigations and a mandate that all faculty must report harassment to the Title IX office.

The outside evaluation was initially commissioned last summer following increased scrutiny about the way the University handles Title IX complaints.

Months before the review, an alumna and sexual assault survivor, who graduated in 2017, launched an online campaign to expel her assailant after he received a lesser punishment than the recommended sanction. Officials later announced he would remain enrolled and keep his job at the Lerner Health and Wellness Center – igniting widespread backlash and protests across campus.

The University was last under a federal Title IX investigation in 2011, which resulted in changes to GW’s sexual assault policy and the creation of a separate category for sexual assault in the student code of conduct.