Weekend outlook – Catch a top poet’s performance at a music venue stage

The 9:30 Club, located at 815 V St. NW, will swap its usual music headliners for a poetry performance Friday.

This weekend, enjoy verses and a vocal performance from two of the most popular contemporary poets. Then race around the District as part of a city-wide scavenger hunt before topping off your weekend with tennis and tailgates.

Friday

Andrea Gibson with Mary Lambert at 9:30 Club

The 9:30 Club is changing its tune for a performance by two spoken word poets this weekend. Andrea Gibson, the first winner of the Women of the World Poetry Slam, will headline the show. The wordsmith is known for raw material, packed with insightful takeaways, that resonates with people of all backgrounds. After an opening set from Mary Lambert, the vocalist on Macklemore’s “Same Love” who is also a poet, you can sit back and enjoy a rare seated performance at the iconic club venue. With each ticket sale, $1 will go to activist group Black Lives Matter.

9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors open 8 p.m. Tickets $21.

Saturday

Where to Next? Race

If you’ve always wanted to compete on the TV show “The Amazing Race” – this weekend is your chance. In the Where to Next? Race, you’ll compete in a race around D.C. to landmark destinations. During the competition, two-person teams will use clues to overcome interactive challenges with local people and businesses, testing their mental and physical prowess. Each team that finishes the race under a set time will win a portion of the $2,000 prize. Whether you’re in it to win it or just along for the ride, this event is sure to be an adventure.

Begins at Wunder Garten, 1101 First St. NE. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tickets $80 to $108.

Sunday

Citi Open

Round out a grand slam weekend by attending the 50th annual Citi Open finals at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center. High-profile tennis stars, like the top-ranked Sloane Stephens and the Open’s defending champion Alexander Zverev, are set to make appearances. You may even catch three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray, who will mark his return to the court after a hip injury at the tournament. Arrive at 11 a.m. to partake in the all-you-can-eat Championship Sunday Brunch before you watch the men’s and women’s finalists battle it out at 12:30 p.m.

Rock Creek Park Tennis Center, 4850 Colorado Ave. NW. Gates open 11:30 a.m. Tickets $25 to $120.