Law school associate dean to head National Bar Association

The law school’s new measures are part of a drive for each of the University’s schools to boost diversity and incorporate a broader array of perspectives in the class teachings.

An associate dean at the law school will soon head the National Bar Association.

Alfreda Robinson, the associate dean for trial advocacy, was elected to serve as the next president of the organization this week, according to an email law school Dean Blake Morant sent to faculty Thursday.

“Her election is the culmination of years of dedicated service to the NBA and the result of a well-planned and hard-fought campaign spanning more than a year,” Morant said in the email, which was obtained by The Hatchet.

The National Bar Association, which was founded in 1925, is the United States’ oldest and largest network of black attorneys and judges. The organization represents more than 60,000 law professionals, according to the group’s website.

Morant said Robinson has established a “national reputation for excellence” over the course of her career and has contributed an “immeasurable” amount to the law school.

“I am confident that her composite of skills and accomplishments will make her an extraordinary president-elect of the NBA,” Morant said in the email.

Before teaching at the University, Robinson worked in a private law practice and served as a senior trial counsel and trial attorney for the civil division of the Department of Justice.

Robinson did not immediately return a request for comment.