Former women’s basketball assistant coach to lead Connecticut College program

Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor
Women’s basketball assistant coach Jackie Smith cuts off a piece of the net after the team won the Atlantic 10 Championship this year.

Former women’s basketball assistant coach Jackie Smith was named head coach of the program at Connecticut College, according to a release from the college Tuesday.

Prior to her time at GW, Smith spent three years as an assistant coach at Hartford under head coach Jennifer Rizotti. When Rizotti took the helm at GW in 2016, Smith followed her and became assistant coach for the Colonials.

Smith’s coaching spot remains vacant, but GW will return assistant coaches Ganiyat Adeduntan and Kevin DeMille for the 2018-19 season.

Rizzotti congratulated Smith and said the Camels are “getting a great one” on Twitter Tuesday.

During her time at GW, Smith served as the recruiting coordinator and worked with guards like 2018-graduate Brianna Cummings, who was named MVP of the Atlantic 10 Championship this year.

Smith helped lead the Colonials to an A-10 Championship victory in March that pushed them into the NCAA tournament where they fell to Ohio State.

Smith played for Rizzotti’s squad at Hartford and finished her career in 2011 with 505 points and 292 assists. She spent two years as an assistant at Stonehill College before returning to her alma mater.

Smith is the second coach who came from Hartford to GW with Rizzotti to leave the program. Former associate head coach and Rizzotti’s husband Bill Sullivan resigned in June 2017 after one year with the Colonials.

Smith inherits a Division III program that finished 15–9 overall and 4–6 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. The team will return 12 players from last season’s roster.