Law school introduces new master’s degree program for non-lawyers

The law school is dropping its application fee, which professors and experts said could increase the number of applicants.

Journalists, policy analysts and consultants can now learn about law at GW without earning a juris doctor.

The law school will introduce a master of studies in law program this fall that will offer classes for non-attorney professionals whose work often coincides with legal matters, according to a University release Friday. The program will feature nine concentration areas, including cybersecurity, health care and environmental and energy studies, in a 24-credit curriculum, according to the release.

“It is a master’s program for qualified candidates that enables a deep dive into a particular field of legal study,” Renee DeVigne, the associate dean for student academic development at the law school, said in the release.

DeVigne said the new degree differs from the master of law program already offered by the law school because the latter is only available to candidates who have already earned a juris doctor.

Candidates for the program should have three to five years of career experience related to their concentration, according to admission requirements listed on the law school’s website.

“GW Law’s MSL helps meet the growing demand for non-lawyers to be familiar with the many ways that law influences industry,” the website states.