Medical school administrator named new vice president for research

The senior associate dean for research at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences will serve as the University’s second vice president for research, according to a University release Monday.

Robert Miller, who joined GW in 2014 as a professor of anatomy and regenerative biology, will retain his post at the medical school when his tenure as the vice president for research begins in August. He was selected for the position following an internal search that commenced after former Vice President for Research Leo Chalupa announced in March that he would resign this summer.

Miller, a neuroscientist, said he will focus on involving undergraduates in research and expanding humanities and social science research opportunities.

“I am delighted to have the opportunity to work with GW leadership, faculty, students and staff to further the university’s strategic initiatives in research,” Miller said in the release. “I look forward to engaging our research community around the goals of strengthening existing research areas, developing new collaborations and supporting our innovators and scholars.”

As the new chief research administrator, Miller will be a central figure in implementing University President Thomas LeBlanc’s goal to transform GW into a top-tier international research institution.

Miller will bring more than 30 years of experience to the Office of the Vice President for Research, which oversees more than 65 GW research centers and institutes. He previously served as the vice president for research at Case Western Reserve University and has authored more than 200 peer-reviewed publications in his field throughout his career.

Since Miller joined the medical school staff in 2014, the school has also hired more than 40 new research faculty.

“He has been an amazing partner in the development and execution of a vision to enhance the research mission in SMHS while also working collaboratively with faculty and deans across the university,” medical school Dean Jeffrey Akman said in the release.

Miller will report to Provost Forrest Maltzman, after LeBlanc announced in April that he would restructure the reporting line to more closely align academics and research. The vice president for research previously reported directly to the president.

“Bob’s outstanding track record as both a researcher and a leader of the academic research enterprise made him the ideal candidate for the vice president position,” Maltzman said in the release. “I am confident he will advance scholarship and research across disciplines and across the university.”