Women’s basketball will wrap up summer training in Spain

File Photo
Women’s basketball huddles before a game during the 2017-18 season.

Women’s basketball will tune up for the 2018-19 season in Spain, according to a release Wednesday.

The Colonials will play four exhibition games against European club teams during a 10-day trip through Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia, Spain starting Aug. 13. This is the team’s first offseason trip abroad under head coach Jennifer Rizzotti.

The squad will take the court for their first offseason game against CD CREF in Madrid on Aug. 15 before traveling to Valencia to take on the Valencia All Stars on Aug. 18. They will conclude their four-game tour in Barcelona with two exhibitions against the Slovenian club ZKK Celje on Aug. 20 and 21.

GW went a perfect 4–0 in their last trip abroad four years ago, when the team visited Italy and France and competed against teams from London, Paris and Marseille. In three of the four contests, the Colonials beat their opponent by a margin of at least 10 points.

The international venture will mark the conclusion of the team’s summer training program, which began Wednesday. During time off the court, the Colonials will explore Spanish culture watching a flamenco show in Barcelona and completing a tapas crawl in Toledo, the release states.

Once the regular season gets underway, the team will travel internationally a second time to Cancun, Mexico to participate in the Cancun Challenge scheduled for Thanksgiving break. The Colonials are slated for two matchups against Georgia State – the first time the teams will face off in program history – and NC State on Nov. 22 and 23.

When the defending Atlantic 10 Champions suit up for the first time in August, their new roster will have four first-year players and two transfers added from last season.

“A lot of us have never played with each other before,” senior point guard Mei-Lyn Bautista said in the release. “The fact that we’ll have a head start and we’ll get to play together before a lot of other A-10 teams do, it’s going to be a great way to see what we’re good at, what we’re not and what we need to work at.”