Weekend outlook – Discover art from Corcoran alumni at Dupont Underground

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
Dupont Underground will showcase art from alumni of the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design as part of the exhibition “20/20: Double Vision.”

Spend the weekend exploring an underground art exhibit or the District’s tidal wetlands. If you prefer something more mainstream, laugh along with comedy greats at the District of Comedy Festival instead.

Friday

20/20: Double Vision

Celebrate the opening night of art exhibition “20/20: Double Vision” at Dupont Underground. In partnership with the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, Dupont Underground is showcasing video from the school’s alumni, including Alexis Gomez, Larry Cook and Jason Zimmerman. The five-artist exhibition is housed in a former trolley station that sat vacant for nearly 30 years until it reopened as an art venue in 2016. Videos part of the show invite viewers to question whether what we see is real, or if the art showcased is an illusion. At the opening night, Maryland singer-songwriter Chris Urquiaga will perform.

Dupont Underground, 1500 19th St. NW. 8 p.m. Tickets $12 to $15.

Saturday

District of Comedy Festival

Join other comedy lovers at the annual District of Comedy Festival. Back for its third year, the three-day summer comedy festival will feature a mixed lineup of comedy veterans and newcomers. Performance highlights include Patton Oswalt, an Emmy Award-winning comedian and actor, and Amanda Seales, an actress from the television show “Insecure.” Aspiring comedians and improvisers will have the opportunity to learn from industry experts by participating in workshops organized by The Second City, a Chicago-based improv group that launched the careers of comedians like Stephen Colbert and Joan Rivers. Class options include “Intro to Improv,” “Character Generator” and “So You Want To Try Stand-Up.” The festival will also feature free shows at the Millennium Stage throughout the weekend.

The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, 2700 F St. NW. All day. Ticket prices vary.

Sunday

Lotus and Water Lily Festival

Admire flowers in full bloom during the annual Lotus and Water Lily Festival. Set in the expansive Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens and hosted by the National Park Service, festival-goers will take in the sights and scents of the District’s last remaining tidal wetlands. The two-day event will feature dance performances by Lesole and Maru Montero and group activities like gardening workshops and a reptiles show. Festival highlights include a Brazilian jazz performance, a community yoga class in the gardens taught by acclaimed “Anacostia Yogi” and Asian dance performances by the International Buddhist Association of America. Although there will be food for sale, guests are encouraged to pack a picnic and enjoy the performances and scenery.

Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, 1550 Anacostia Ave. NE. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free.