Weekend outlook – Explore French culture in honor of Bastille Day

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
The Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens will host a French festival in honor of Bastille Day Saturday.

Ease into the weekend at a film festival where directors and actors from the big screen provide insight after the credits roll. Then, celebrate French culture in honor of Bastille Day before switching gears to listen to the United States’ best-selling female country singer on Sunday.

Friday

March on Washington Film Festival

The annual March on Washington Film Festival kicks off this week for its sixth year, with more than 27 events over 10 days. The festival features politically-charged stories of civil rights activism through film screenings, discussions and art exhibits. Attend a free talk by Camille Friend, a movie hair designer known for her work in “Black Panther,” where she will discuss her journey from hair salon to Hollywood. Then, pick between two films to catch for a 7 p.m. show. Studio Theater will screen “A Boy. A Girl. A Dream: Love on Election Night,” followed by a panel featuring the director, actor and co-writer of the film. At the same time, the National Museum of Women in the Arts will host a panel after showing the documentary “Two Dollars and a Dream,” about Madam C.J. Walker, who is lauded as the first self-made female millionaire.

Ticket prices and locations vary. $17.58 for movie screenings.

Saturday

French Festival

Indulge in all things French in honor of Bastille Day by celebrating at the Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens. Observe the intricacies of court life in a short play performed by Happenstance Theater, or watch a show performed by the New York Baroque Dance Company. If you’d rather stay inside, you can check out the museum’s collection of 18th-century French decorative arts, or choose to get lost in the estate’s verdant gardens instead. The festival will also host activities all day like lawn games and a hat making workshop. Don the French beret you craft for the rest of the day’s festivities.

Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens, 4155 Linnean Ave. NW. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets $10 with student ID.

Sunday

Shania Twain at Capital One Arena

Cap off the weekend listening to a pop country powerhouse. Head to Capital One Arena for Shania Twain’s D.C. stop on her summer tour. The tour is set to stage her latest album, “Now,” released in September. With more than 85 million records sold, Twain is the best-selling female artist in the history of country music. You’ll hear iconic hits like “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” and “You’re Still the One,” but stick around for newer tracks that are her first material in more than a decade. The singer’s first tour since 2015 promises to be a glitzy, over-the-top performance.

Capital One Arena, 601 F St. NW. 7 p.m. Tickets start at $24.95.