GW Hospital treats seven patients for Segway-related injuries over 16 months

Sam Hardgrove | Assistant Photo Editor
Ashley Morehouse (left) and City Segway tour guide Cynthia Hodge (right) ride down F Street. Nothing screams tourist quite like a Segway tour, but embrace the embarrassment when your family comes to town for the last time.

D.C. tourists may need to take extra precautions before using a Segway to tour the city this summer.

GW Hospital treated seven patients for Segway-related injuries between January 2017 and April 2018, while doctors counted just one injury each for electric scooters and electric hoverboards during the same period, The Washington Post reported last week.

A GW Hospital spokeswoman, who was not named by The Post, said bicycle injuries remained the same during this period. There were more than 1,000 bike crashes and nearly 700 other bike-related injuries city-wide over the 16 months, The Post reported.

The update comes as Segway prepares to roll out self-balancing “e-skates,” which the company’s website states will be “available soon.” Since Segway announced the new skates last month, several media outlets have voiced safety concerns about the new mode of transportation, including Engadgeta, which published the headline: “Segway’s new e-skates are probably a terrible idea: Accidents will happen.”