Wingo’s temporarily shuts down after fire Tuesday

Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor
Wingo’s, located at 3207 O St. NW, caught on fire Tuesday and will be closed temporarily.

An accidental kitchen fire has shuttered Wingo’s, one of the few GWorld vendors that delivers to students through the GET app.

D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded to the two-alarm fire on O Street shortly after 11 a.m. Tuesday. Firefighters contained the blaze at Wingo’s at about 1:30 p.m., but not before two firefighters were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, WTOP reported Tuesday.

Mike Arthur, the restaurant’s owner, said he hopes to reopen the restaurant before the fall semester begins, The Washingtonian reported Wednesday. Arthur told The Washingtonian that despite the fire, he still expects to open a second location in Glover Park Aug. 1.

The company posted on its Facebook page Wednesday that the storefront will be closed until further notice. Wingo’s has been open for more than 15 years.

“Unfortunately, we must close for now, but we are working to re-open as soon as possible,” the post states.

Alex Sceery, a former employee at Wingo’s, started a GoFundMe campaign hoping to raise $25,000 for the shop’s 24 employees who are now out of work. The campaign had raised $395 as of Thursday.

The fire also damaged English Rose Garden, a flower shop that is also located at 32nd and O streets.