Best and worst from this week’s headlines

Amazon Prime members rejoiced over a new opportunity for discounted groceries at Whole Foods shops across the country this week. But meanwhile, a compilation of the University’s possible civil rights violations over the past three years reminded me of concerning investigations.

Here’s the best and worst from this week’s headlines:

Thumbs up:

Amazon Prime members can now take advantage of discounts at Whole Foods stores in D.C. The new program began Wednesday and now allows members to cut costs on hundreds of products including cherries, peaches and bulk food items. An additional 10 percent will be taken off “hundreds of sale items.”

With the Foggy Bottom Whole Foods location so close to the center of campus, students and staff will benefit from these exclusive offers, which is much needed with GW’s long scrutinized dining plan.

Earlier this year, a new dining plan was announced that will be implemented in the fall. With an increase in dining dollars, students may feel more secure with a higher amount of money allocated for food – but that money has to come from somewhere, so it’s not a complete fix.

Reduced prices at a grocery store on campus will make students’ dining dollars stretch, which will actually help to ease food insecurity on campus.

Thumbs down:

This week, ProPublica released a report detailing civil rights investigations over the past three years at colleges and school districts across the country. The Department of Education has investigated GW for 24 possible civil rights violations over the three year period.

The results of the investigations found that 22 complaints did not have a violation, one investigation had a violation and was remedied with a corrective change and one is still ongoing.

In comparison to GW’s peer schools, only three of the 12 institutions have incurred more investigations than GW. While the University isn’t alone in these federal probes, this should not be the norm.

The case that remains open at GW is a probe into the University’s handling of sexual violence and harassment cases. The investigation began in August after an individual filed Title IX complaint against the University and has been ongoing.

With this investigation is still underway, the University made changes in May to the Title IX investigation process and now requires all staff to be mandatory reporters.

While GW is taking steps to fix the issues that the Department of Education has brought to its attention, it shouldn’t take federal investigations to make improvements that will improve the lives of students.

Renee Pineda, a senior majoring in political science, is The Hatchet’s opinions editor.

Want to respond to this piece? Submit a letter to the editor.