Foggy Bottom armed robberies exemplary of District-wide increase

Nearly halfway through 2018, the number of armed robberies in D.C. is on the rise – including a spike near campus.

The number of robberies in the District including a gun has increased 18 percent since this time last year, jumping from 310 to 365. But robberies excluding the weapon have decreased by 17 percent, falling from 610 to 507, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

Armed robberies have also spiked in Foggy Bottom, where at least three incidents involving a gun have occurred within the past month.

An armed man robbed Au Bon Pain Saturday, stealing an unknown amount of money from the store’s safe and cash register after pointing his gun at at least two employees. Another incident earlier this month involved an armed robbery outside the Academic Center, in which the suspect demanded cash from a victim at the corner of 22nd Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Last month, an armed robber stole $500 from Chipotle at The Shops at 2000 Penn.

The number of armed robberies in Ward 2 has increased by seven since this time last year, according to D.C. crime data.

Armed robberies and homicides are the only two categories of violent crimes to increase this year, with the number of murders in the District rising from 48 to 71. Overall violent crime in the District has fallen by about 6 percent within the past year, The Post reported.