MPD searching for armed robber on Pennsylvania Avenue

Updated: June 17, 2018 at 2:26 p.m.

Metropolitan Police Department officers are searching for a suspect who committed an armed robbery on Pennsylvania Avenue Saturday afternoon.

At about 2:09 p.m., the suspect robbed an establishment on the 2000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, according to a D.C. crime alert issued about 10 minutes after the incident. The alert advised residents to be on the lookout for a short, black male wearing a black mask, grey shirt and black pants.

The suspect is armed with a black handgun, according to the alert.

MPD spokesman Hugh Carew said the robbery occurred at Au Bon Pain in the 2000 Penn complex but did not have any additional information as of Saturday afternoon.

A police report obtained the Sunday morning said the suspect entered Au Bon Pain through an unlocked rear door, grabbed an employee by the shirt and pointed his handgun at him. The suspect then demanded to see a different employee, the report states.

Once the second employee entered the rear of the location, the suspect told him to open a safe and then forced the first employee to open the cash register at the front of the store. The suspect stole an unknown amount of currency from the register, according to the report.

The suspect then fled the scene in a vehicle waiting outside, the report states.