Paulus hired as men’s basketball assistant coach

Greg Paulus, former assistant coach at Louisville, will join men’s basketball as an assistant coach, head coach Maurice Joseph announced in a release Wednesday.

Prior to his stint with the Cardinals for the 2017-18 season, Paulus served four seasons as an assistant coach at Ohio State and spent two years before that with the Buckeyes as the team’s video coordinator. Paulus was also an assistant coach at Navy for one season.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of Coach Joseph’s coaching staff,” Paulus said in the release. “I am looking forward to working with the student-athletes and developing them on and off the court.”

During his playing years, Paulus was a starting guard at Duke for three seasons. Before he graduated in 2009, he scored 1,193 career points and averaged 8.6 points per game and 3.4 assists per game for the Blue Devils. The team finished with a 112-28 record and made four NCAA Tournament appearances in his four years with the program.

Paulus helped the Buckeyes sign top 10 recruiting classes in 2014 and 2015, and was recognized by ESPN as one of the nation’s top assistant coaches in 2015, according to the release.

“Greg is a tireless recruiter and talented tactician who will aid in the overall development of our student-athletes, particularly our perimeter players,” Joseph said in the release.

Joseph said in an interview last week that assistant coach Carmen Maciariello, who has been with the Colonials for four seasons, will be leaving the program.

The Colonials finished in 11th place in the Atlantic 10 last season and 15–18 overall. They are set to return 10 players from last season’s roster.