University names new study abroad director after more than yearlong vacancy

The University named a new study abroad director Thursday, about a year and a half after the position initially became vacant.

Maritheresa Frain, who has about 20 years of experience as a study abroad professional, will step into the position Monday. She was most recently the executive vice president for study abroad for the Council on International Educational Exchange, a nonprofit international exchange organization that partners with colleges and universities, according to a University release Thursday.

Frain, who speaks three languages fluently and two proficiently, also previously held a position as an on-site leader of the University’s study abroad program in Madrid in the late 1990s.

“It is exciting to be back with GW, working with a team of professionals committed to ensuring students have safe, rewarding and life-changing learning experiences abroad,” Frain said in the release.

Officials launched the search for a new director earlier this year and began reviewing applications Feb. 1. Frain will be the first permanent replacement for Rob Hallworth, the former study abroad director who left the University for a new job opportunity in January 2017.

Officials said earlier this year that they decided to delay the search for a new director to review the operations of the study abroad office.

As director, Frain will oversee a team of 16 current study abroad staff members.

“She brings with her a top-notch reputation, an established commitment to equity and access and an excitement for coming back to GW after many years abroad and in the U.S.,” Donna Scarboro, the associate provost for international programs, said in the release.