Women’s basketball signs transfer guard

Redshirt sophomore guard Sydney Zambrotta will join women’s basketball’s 2019-20 roster after sitting out the upcoming season per NCAA transfer rules, according to a release Wednesday.

The North Babylon, N.Y. native comes off a two-year stint at Louisville, where she averaged 3.4 points, 1.2 rebounds and 10.4 minutes in 33 games played.

She went 26-for-80 from behind the arc on the season as the Cardinals went 36-3 on the year and earned themselves a trip to the Final Four.

“I’m excited about the versatility Syd can offer at the guard position,” head coach Jennifer Rizzotti said in the release. “Although she’s known as a tremendous shooter, she has the basketball IQ of a point guard, which will allow her to both facilitate and score in our offense.”

As a freshman, the 5-foot-9-inch guard appeared in 29 games for the Cardinals – averaging 2.9 points per game, sinking 20 three-point shots and helping Louisville to a Sweet Sixteen appearance.

Coming out of high school, Zambrotta was rated the No. 56 recruit nationally and the 16th-best point guard in the class of 2016 by ESPN.

She joins incoming rookie guards Tori Hyduke and Maddie Loder, center Kayla Mokwuah and forward Mayowa Taiwo.

GW returns five members from last season’s active roster, and redshirt sophomore forwards Olivia Gumbs and Sarah Overcash will also be eligible after sitting out last season per NCAA transfer rules.