Weekend outlook – Forget final grades rocking out at Union Stage

File Photo by Morgan Southern | Hatchet Photographer
Union Stage, located at 740 Water St. SW, will host Danish rock band Iceage Friday night.

If you’re in need of a District distraction as final grades trickle in, headbang to a post-punk band at Union Stage. Then, peddle through your stresses before checking out a fresh take on a classic film.

Friday

Iceage at Union Stage

Danish rock band Iceage plays Union Stage tonight with dramatic post-punk tunes from their latest album “Beyondless,” released this month. Find yourself in a summer haze with slow jams like “Catch It,” or lively “Pain Killer” featuring Sky Ferreira. Lead vocalist Elias Bender Rønnenfelt’s howl on tracks like “How Many” will surely fill you with the energy you’ve been missing all semester. With opening act Empath, a Philadelphia noise rock band, this night is perfect for concertgoers antsy for an angst-filled listen.

Union Stage, 740 Water St. SW. Doors open at 7 p.m. Show begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 to $20.

Saturday

DC Bike Ride

The fifth annual DC Bike Ride lets registered riders traverse a six- or 20-mile track around sights like the Pentagon and the Tidal Basin. Late registration is available Thursday and Friday at the event’s packet pickup station located outside the Waterfront Metro station, where early birds can also pick up registration packets. Be sure to bring your mandatory helmet on the morning of the ride, as you will be sharing the road with an anticipated 8,000 fellow bikers. If you’d rather relax or cheer on the bikers, four entertainment spots will be stationed around the course, and three musicians will play at the finish line festival held on Third Street from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Begins at West Potomac Park, 100 West Basin Drive SW. Bikers must be in corrals by 7:45 a.m. Registration is $35 ages 8 to 17, $70 ages 18 and up.

Sunday

‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Screening at Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Take part in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum’s weekly event, Sci-Fi Sundays, for a special viewing of the classic Stanley Kubrick film “2001: A Space Odyssey.” The screening will feature an introduction and post-show Q&A from the prestigious visual effects maker Douglas Trumbull, who worked on the film and other sci-fi classics like Blade Runner. Get the full viewing experience of the film inside the Lockheed IMAX Theater. After, you can check out the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum’s immersive exhibit based on the film, with free timed tickets available online.

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, Independence Avenue and Sixth Street SW. Starts at 1:45 p.m. Tickets are $20.01.