Milken graduates advised to be resilient, keep passion for public health

Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor
Student speaker Molly Shea encouraged graduates to keep working toward the “ultimate goal of optimal universal good health” at the Milken Institute School of Public Health’s commencement celebration Thursday.

At the Milken Institute School of Public Health commencement celebration Thursday, graduates heard from speakers who encouraged students to embrace the unexpected and work to make difference in the world of public health.

The ceremony, which celebrated the accomplishments of more than 850 graduates, was held in the Smith Center.

Sporting graduation caps with phrases like, “Go into the world to do good,” graduates heard from speakers including Lynn Goldman, the school’s dean, and keynote speaker Anne Schuchat, the principal deputy director of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Here are some key takeaways from the ceremony:

1. ‘Embrace the unexpected’

Schuchat told graduates it is their responsibility to “embrace the unexpected.”

“Public health is about solving problems,” Schuchat said. “Be open and flexible. Be grounded in science, but never forget the human side of things.”

Schuchat said there are endless opportunities to make a difference in the public health field and told graduates that they can control their approach to the difficulties they may face in the future.

“In today’s complicated and confounding times, we must also talk about resilience – how we weather the unexpected and can come out stronger,” she said.

2. ‘Public health is everywhere’

Student speaker Molly Shea recalled during her speech how excited she was as a sophomore to study a field that was applicable to her daily life, because “public health is everywhere.”

“It is the nutrition label on our food, the fluoride in the water we drink, the posters on campus telling me to get more sleep,” she said.

Shea said graduates should continue working toward the “ultimate goal of optimal universal good health.”

“Everyone deserves to be healthy – physically, emotionally, mentally, environmentally and spiritually,” Shea said.

3. Keeping a passion for public health

Goldman, the school’s dean, reminded graduates to remember every day why they chose a path in public health education.

“I charge you to hold onto your creativity and commitment to keep alive the thirst for knowledge that has guided you to your studies here,” she said.

Goldman said she was sorry that older generations have left so much work for the graduates’ generation to work on to protect and maintain public health.

“We call on you to heal this world,” she said. “Never become discouraged. Every day in your actions you will make this world a better place.”

Like these photos? You can purchase your personal photo from this graduation ceremony online at: www.hatchetphotos.com