Men’s basketball opens season hosting teams for tournament

Men’s basketball will open its 2018-19 season hosting two teams in the campus round of the 2018 Tip-Off Tournament in November, according to a release Tuesday.

The Colonials will kick off their season facing off against Stony Brook on Nov. 6 followed by Siena on Nov. 8 at the Smith Center.

GW will then play two more games at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., starting with a game against Michigan, the 2018 NCAA Tournament runner-up, for the first time since 1993. The Colonials will then play either South Carolina or Providence on Nov. 18.

“We’re excited to be part of such a prestigious field in the Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament at Mohegan Sun,” head coach Maurice Joseph said the release. “We’ve always prided ourselves on playing a difficult non-conference slate and this will provide us a great test early in the season.”

The Colonials and Stony Brook last met in 2006, with the Colonials coming out on top 88–60. In its last contest against Siena in 2016, GW came away with a 77–75 victory.

This is GW’s first appearance in the tournament since 2011. Last season, the Colonials finished with an overall record of 15–18 and are set to return 10 players from last year’s roster.