Engineering school dean to resign in August

Updated: May 14, 2018 at 6:35 p.m.

The dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science will resign from his post at the end of the summer, according to a Monday email to SEAS students obtained by The Hatchet.

David Dolling, who has served as dean for the past 10 years, will step down from the position Aug. 31 and will go on sabbatical leave next academic year. Provost Forrest Maltzman will appoint an interim dean “shortly” and the University will soon release information about the search, the email states.

“I know we will be in good hands as we continue to grow and strengthen your educational and research programs,” Dolling said in the email.

The University appointed Dolling to the post in 2008 after he served as an associate dean at the engineering school at the University of Texas at Austin.

During his tenure, Dolling helped to oversee a $275 million endeavor to build the Science and Engineering Hall – a project that forced the school to ramp up fundraising efforts and increase outreach to potential donors.

“It has been a privilege to lead SEAS during the heady times of a true transformation,” Dolling said in a University release Monday. “Undergraduate enrollment has almost doubled, on-campus graduate programs are thriving and growing, and enrollment in an array of new online graduate degree programs for working engineers now exceeds 1,000 persons.”

He also worked to close the school’s gender gap and brought in a fleet of tenured faculty focused on boosting the University’s research profile.

Lauren Peller contributed reporting.