Alumnus creates endowed fellowship to promote international development

An alumnus established a new postdoctoral fellowship fund to train anthropology professionals and promote international development, according to a University release Tuesday.

Edward Green, a research professor who obtained a bachelor’s degree in anthropology from GW in 1967, created the endowed fellowship, which will support fellows seeking to shape social and political changes in Africa. Fellows will intern or consult with agencies and organizations outside of GW and teach courses or seminars in the anthropology department, the release states.

The fund is intended to support professionals who want to work in the field of anthropology rather than in academia, according to the release.

The fellows, who may have obtained a doctoral degree from any university in the world, will be selected by a committee headed by the anthropology department chair. The committee will give preference to citizens of an African country or of Suriname, a small country on the northern coast of South America, the release states.

Ben Vinson, the dean of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, said Green’s “pivotal and defining gift” will help researchers discover new, local solutions to international development projects.

“These Green scholars will contribute to social and political change in their countries,” Vinson said in the release.