Women’s tennis knocked out of the A-10 Championship in semifinal round

Women’s tennis’ season came to a close early in the Atlantic 10 Championship last weekend in Orlando, Fla., at the U.S. Tennis Association National Campus.

The Colonials (14-9, 6-1 A-10) – the No. 2 seed in the tournament – trounced Dayton 4–0 in the quarterfinals Thursday before getting knocked out of competition by No. 6 seed Massachusetts in a 4–2 semifinal loss Saturday.

Last season, GW was eliminated from the tournament by Richmond in the quarterfinal round.

During the regular season, GW won six conference matchups – the program’s best-ever result – and finished the year with a five-game winning streak. The Colonials’ 14 overall wins is the most the program has recorded since 2012.

The team battled through a tight doubles competition against Dayton. Junior Maria Siopacha and sophomore Melis Bayraktaroglu won the first doubles match 6–2 against the Flyers, and freshman Julia Herlogsson and junior Sara Grubac took the third doubles match to give GW the 1-0 lead.

Three-straight wins by Bayraktaroglu, senior Marie-Louise Decamps and sophomore Diana Kussainova in the singles round clinched the victory for the Colonials and advanced them to the semifinal round. Siopacha, Grubac and Herlogsson also recorded victories in the singles round.

In the semifinal round, GW trailed from the get-go after dropping two matches in doubles play. Siopacha and Bayraktaroglu took the first doubles match 6–3 against the Minutewomen before Massachusetts swept the remaining two doubles competitions.

Kussainova’s 6–1 victory over Massachusetts sophomore Martina Bocchi in singles play tied the score at one apiece before Herlogsson dropped her singles match. Decamps and Siopacha both recorded victories in the singles matches, but the Minutewomen’s three singles victories gave them the final victory.

GW has not advanced past the semifinal round in the tournament since 2010.