GW Libraries to create centralized location for academic support services

The University will soon offer several of its academic support services in a centralized location within GW Libraries, according to a University release Thursday.

GW Libraries is coordinating with departments like the Writing Center, Disability Support Services and the Center for Student Engagement to offer services like peer coaching, time-management and study-skill workshops, and writing help in one area, according to the release.

“The new structure will better enable the University to provide academic services that enrich and enhance the learning experience of undergraduate students,” Geneva Henry, the dean of libraries and academic innovation, said in the release.

Henry said the new structure will facilitate GW Libraries’ ability to collaborate with the Office of Enrollment and the Student Experience and other University offices to facilitate academic support for students.

GW Libraries will also create a new website to act as a “one-stop shop” for students to access the support services offered in the new structure. The website will also feature a database students can use to search for study spaces across campus, according to the release.

The new center is a direct response to Student Association advocacy, the release states.

SA President Peak Sen Chua and Executive Vice President Sydney Nelson prioritized the creation of a centralized academic resource center heading into this semester, saying the structure would help students transition to college life and give them easier access to multiple academic services.

“The expanded services and the new structure will enable students to access needed support and guidance, fulfill their academic potential and set students up for success,” Chua said in the release.