Stoner holiday schedule: Celebrate 4/20 with festivals, panels

Union+Stage%2C+located+at+740+Water+St.+SW%2C+is+hosting+a+food+and+beer+festival+Friday+that+is+the+perfect+cure+for+the+munchies.+
File Photo
Union Stage, located at 740 Water St. SW, is hosting a food and beer festival Friday that is the perfect cure for the munchies.

This year for 4/20, a variety of celebratory options around the District means there’s an event for everyone.

Marijuana laws in the District allow residents older than 21 years old to use marijuana on private property, possess up to two ounces and grow up to six plants. People can also give up to an ounce of weed as a “gift” to another person, so your 4/20 events can roll on as long as you’re of age.

From sunup to sundown, this schedule has your weed-infused day covered. Pick and choose from the stoned itinerary, or hit everything on this list for a hazy day of good vibes.

10:30 a.m. Friday is one of the only days to wake and bake unabashedly, so get your high early. Ordering your favorite breakfast sandwich at GW Deli – extra bacon included – is the natural next step. Your chill morning will make the long line of other students suffering from the munchies more bearable, and that first bite will be worth the wait.

11 a.m. Throughout the day, starting at 9:45 a.m. until about 3:30 p.m., the National Cannabis Festival Policy Summit will hold three 15-minute keynote speeches and five hour-long panels with policy influencers and academics. The event at the Newseum will delve into topics like marijuana policy and medical marijuana. The panel at 11 a.m. discusses tax on legal weed with members from the Brookings Institution and other think tanks, moderated by Jon Fasman of The Economist.

12:45 p.m. Glide into that pesky Friday class with mandatory attendance donning a post-smoke look. Check yourself in the bathroom mirror armed with eye drops to be sure you don’t look suspicious before sneaking into the back row of the classroom. Make sure to keep the volume muted as you watch BuzzFeed Tasty videos or doodle in your notebook until the sign-in sheet makes its way to you.

3:30 p.m. Keep your high rolling with the Mamajuana Edibles 4/20 Day Party for good music, good vibes and free gifts. A $10 ticket will give you access to complimentary products, giveaways and vendors at a location that will be released upon RSVP. A portion of the entrance fee goes toward a cannabis nonprofit, so you can still feel productive on what may be one of the most unproductive days of the semester.

5 p.m. While this isn’t an official 4/20 event, this food and beer festival at Union Stage is the perfect cure for the munchies and dry mouth caused by a day of smoking. Located at 740 Water St. SW, the bar serves drinks, including free beer, upstairs from 5 until 7 p.m., while the basement has music from bands like FeelFree, Big Timber Bluegrass and Hollertown throughout the night.

9 p.m. If you’re prone to paranoid highs, steer clear of the D.C. Weirdo Show in Dupont Circle, where acts include fire eating, a drag show and bellydancers. The 21+ variety show is hosted at The Bier Baron Tavern, located at 1523 22nd St. NW. Tickets go for $15 on the group’s website, or attendees can pay $20 at the door. Cough up the cash to see epic performances that will seem even more trippy on your day-long high.

11 p.m. Polish the night off with a reggae, dub and ska festival to check off another box on your 4/20 day of marijuana-related activities. At the event you can dance until last call at Tropicalia, located at 2001 14th St. NW, to sets from Nkula, Dr. Dubenstein and DJ duo The Loving Paupers. Sway gently in the corner or take to the center of the stage as the danceable rhythms elevate your high and simultaneously prepare you for a solid sleep.