Weekend outlook – Listen to a string symphony at the National Zoo

Check+out+a+fun-filled+afternoon+with+a+talented+group+of+violinists%2C+cellists+and+other+stringed-instrument+players+in+the+National+Symphony+Orchestra+at+the+Smithsonian+National+Zoo.+
Check out a fun-filled afternoon with a talented group of violinists, cellists and other stringed-instrument players in the National Symphony Orchestra at the Smithsonian National Zoo.

Catch a comedy show this weekend from an up-and-coming comedian with a famously funny family before hitting the streets for Japanese food and performances. Then enjoy a symphony alongside animals at the National Zoo this Sunday.

Friday

Jordan Rock at DC Improv

Head to DC Improv this weekend and check out Jordan Rock, a comedian and actor who has called himself the Solange Knowles of his family as he had a later start to comedy than his famous sibling Chris Rock. Jordan Rock, whose work includes the Netflix series “Love,” as well as multiple television spots on Comedy Central and “Last Comic Standing,” has toured nationwide in the past as an opener for other comedians. Friday marks the young funny-man’s first headlining show at DC Improv, so you’ll want to catch him as he finds his career footing.

DC Improv, 1140 Connecticut Ave. NW. 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. $20.

Saturday

Japanese Street Festival

Immerse yourself in Japanese culture Saturday at the 58th annual Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival. Taking place right after the National Cherry Blossom parade, the festival will feature live performances of music, dance and martial arts by groups hailing from the all over the U.S. and Japan. In between shows, visitors can learn about a variety of Japanese traditions through interactive activities about the arts, cultural traditions and modern Japanese lifestyle. There will also be two markets where visitors can grab Japanese snacks and drinks, as well as sake sampling and Kirin Ichiban beer serving areas for guests 21 and older.

Pennsylvania Avenue between Third and Seventh streets NW. 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. $10.

Sunday

National Symphony Orchestra Concert at the Smithsonian National Zoo

Enjoy a free concert alongside your favorite animals Sunday afternoon. Check out a fun-filled afternoon with a talented group of violinists, cellists and other stringed-instrument players of the National Symphony Orchestra. They will perform two hour-long shows at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Free passes for the concerts will be handed out at the Visitor Center Information Desk starting at 11 a.m. After each concert, at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., the zoo will host musical instrument “petting zoos,” where you can try out an instrument of your choice. Afterward, take a tour around the new additions to the zoo, including a sloth bear named Niko.

Smithsonian National Zoo, 3001 Connecticut Ave NW, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Free.