Softball drops fifth consecutive game in loss to Georgetown

File Photo by Aaron Schwartz | Hatchet Photographer
Senior utility player Jenna Cone became the first All-American in softball program history.

Not a single Colonial tallied more than one hit in the game against Georgetown Wednesday.

The Colonials (22-12) suffered a 4–0 defeat against the Hoyas (9-25), extending GW’s losing streak to five games. GW connected on only five hits in the contest and could not cross home plate for the second game in a row.

“It all stems from the mental game,” sophomore infielder Elena Shelepak said. “The physical stuff you can’t control, but the mentality is where it starts. We need to get our mentality and killer instinct back like we used to.”

Georgetown was carried by freshman pitcher London Diller who threw a complete game, allowing five hits and two walks while striking out three Colonials throughout the seven innings.

Senior starting pitcher Sarah Costlow gave up seven hits, four runs and six walks over five innings pitched.

The Hoyas started the match strong when senior outfielder Theresa Kane reached first on a walk by Costlow to lead off the top of the first inning. Kane stole second, then reached third off of a sacrifice bunt. An error by freshman shortstop Sierra Lange allowed Kane to cross home plate for Georgetown’s first run of the game.

The Colonials had a chance to take back the game early, when freshman infielder Alessandra Ponce was hit by a pitch to load the bases with two outs in the bottom of the first inning. But a strikeout from Lange ended the inning and left three Colonials stranded on the diamond.

“We had too many throw away at bats,” head coach James DeFeo said. “We didn’t play focused on the defense and the score showed that.”

Costlow continued to struggle in the pitcher’s circle, walking three Hoyas in the top of the second inning. A double by Kane sent Georgetown sophomore infielder Delaney Darden over home plate after she advanced to third base on a wild pitch.

GW squandered its second bases-loaded opportunity in the bottom of the second. Senior outfielder Morgan Rinehart led with a single to get on base, and a sacrifice bunt advanced her to second. A single by freshman outfielder Sidney Bloomfield moved Rinehart to third, and sophomore utility player Jenna Cone reached first on a walk to load the bases. But sophomore catcher Priscilla Martinez grounded out to end the inning.

Senior pitcher Ashley Pilcher tossed two innings in relief, allowing one hit and no runs in to keep GW within striking distance on the scoreboard.

The Colonials’ final chance to find the run column came in the bottom of the sixth inning when Shelepak hit a leadoff double and advanced to third when Lange singled. Rinehart stole second after reaching first on a fielder’s choice, but junior infielder Riley Tejcek popped out to end the inning.

“Today’s result was the same thing that happened over the weekend, we didn’t make the adjustments,” DeFeo said. “But going forward we are going to do everything in our power to start getting focused and playing better.”

The Colonials hit the road for the first time in more than a month to face Rhode Island for a three-game series. First pitch is slated for Saturday at noon.