Political science professor, CCAS vice dean to serve as school’s interim leader

The vice dean for programs and research and a political science professor will serve as the interim dean of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, according to a University release Monday.

Paul Wahlbeck, who has served as CCAS vice dean since 2016 and formerly led the political science department, will take charge of GW’s largest school after Dean Ben Vinson steps down to become provost and executive vice president of Case Western University in July. Vinson has held the position for five years.

“It will be an honor to lead Columbian College as its interim dean, and I look forward to serving our vibrant community of scholars and students,” Wahlbeck said in the release.

In his role as vice dean, Wahlbeck has helped to oversee graduate enrollment, research growth and academic and student services. He has worked closely with Vinson in his position as vice dean, according to the release.

“I’m thrilled by Paul’s selection and look forward to working with him to ensure a seamless leadership transition,” Vinson said in the relase.

Wahlbeck has been a professor at GW since 1993 and chaired the political science department from 2011 until 2015.

Provost Forrest Maltzman said he is confident that Wahlbeck “will provide excellent leadership for the students, faculty and staff” in CCAS.