Best of Northwest 2018

In this year’s Best of Northwest guide, readers voted on their favorite food and drink spots, activities and aspects of campus life. Check out our editors’ picks below to see how your votes stack up against our favorites:

Campus Life

Best Campus Dog

Editors’ Choice

Lola the miniature goldendoodle

The pup outshines the competition for her friendly attitude and popularity on the Vern.

Read More

Best GW meme

Editors’ Choice

Sorority life as vines

In the 24-hour meme cycle, it can be hard for jokes on the “GW memes for the 10th most politically active teens” Facebook page to stick.

Read More

Best Campus Musician/Band

Editors’ Choice

Michael Ferrier, ‘The Plantain Papi’

The sophomore started making music in high school but since the R&B and hip-hop artist landed in the District, he’s been performing shows and releasing mixtapes.

Read More

Best Spot to Sob

Editors’ Choice

Benches between Madison and Duques halls

The benches between Madison Hall and Duques Hall are secluded and perfect for the occasional sobbing session.

Read More

Best Professor

Editors’ Choice

Irene Foster

From mentions on the memes page to tall tales about tricky exams and summer assessments, Irene Foster is one of the most well-known professors on campus.

Read More

Best Male Athlete

Editors’ Choice

Yuta Watanabe

The senior guard’s offensive hustle on the court and his ability to defend multiple positions made him a shoo-in for Best Male Athlete.

Read More

Best Female Athlete

Editors’ Choice

Sofia Pavon

Women’s soccer’s junior midfielder Sofia Pavon proved she could still find the back of the net in her return to the pitch this season.

Read More

Best Campus Food Replacement

Editors’ Choice

Panera Bread replacing J Street

As students arrived back on campus this semester, they found one noticeable restaurant replacement that stood out above every other renovation.

Read More

Best building playlist

Editors’ Choice

District House

With student DJs running the show, you never know what you’ll hear blaring out of the speakers in the District House basement, and that variety is why District House is The Hatchet’s pick for best campus playlist.

Read More

Food and Drink

Best New Restaurant

Editors’ Choice

Unconventional Diner

Just a one block walk from the Mt. Vernon Square/Convention Center Metro, the diner’s reasonably priced dishes and generous serving sizes will make you an instant fan.

Read More

Best Authentic International Dish

Editors’ Choice

Paella at Bodega Spanish Tapas & Lounge

Read More

Best Dessert

Editors’ Choice

Thomas Sweet Ice Cream

On top of the large sizes and delicious scoops, the shop wins The Hatchet’s pick for best dessert because of the homestyle, no-frills atmosphere.

Read More

Best Bar Crawl Block

Editors’ Choice

U Street between 13 and 14th streets

From upscale drinking to start off the night to singing in dirty dive bars toward the end, this block of U Street checks all the boxes for the perfect bar crawl.

Read More

Best Classy Bar

Editors’ Choice

ANXO Cidery & Pintxos Bar

This Basque-inspired cidery and restaurant, located at Truxton Circle in Shaw, combines the mechanical style of an upscale brewery with the welcome pretension and alternative of cider for those averse to beer.

Read More

Best Coffee

Editors’ Choice

La Colombe

Conveniently located on I Street, La Colombe is a fast-growing, independent coffee roaster with unique, single-origin coffees.

Read More

Best Hangover Brunch

Editors’ Choice

Lincoln

If you need a little more elegance to gossip about the previous night, try Lincoln’s Sunday brunch.

Read More

Best Near-Campus Late Night Food

Editors’ Choice

Surfside

When a night out creates cravings, Surfside is the Hatchet’s pick to cure alcohol-induced late-night hunger.

Read More

Best LGBTQ Bar

Editors’ Choice

Cobalt

Despite the myriad of LGBTQ dance clubs in our flamboyant quadrant, Cobalt is an easy favorite.

Read More

Activities

Best Concert Venue

Editors’ Choice

9:30 Club

If your Saturday night repertoire of local bars and clubs is getting stale, trade your regular plans for a night filled with live music at the 9:30 Club.

Read More

Best Unique Tour

Editors’ Choice

D.C. by Foot’s Ghost Tours

D.C. by Foot’s ghost tours offer a spine-chilling take on D.C. history. Three tours are offered in Northwest D.C., showcasing hauntings in Georgetown, Dupont Circle and the White House.

Read More

Best Underrated Art Exhibit

Editors’ Choice

National Museum of Women in the Arts

Located a few blocks from the White House, the museum features art made by women from the last five centuries.

Read More

Best First Date (if you’re paying)

Editors’ Choice

D.C. Improv

There’s a lot of pressure to be funny on the first date, but D.C. Improv Comedy Club makes it easy.

Read More

Best First Date (If they’re paying)

Editors’ Choice

Wine tasting at ENO Wine Bar

If you’re the lucky one and your date is paying, suggest ENO Wine Bar in Georgetown so you can drink those first date nerves away with a flight of three wines.

Read More

Best Activity for Out-of-Towners

Editors’ Choice

Newseum

Any local will be quick to tell you that forking over those extra dollars is a wise choice to make the most of a trip to the District.

Read More

Best Treat Yourself Activity

Editors’ Choice

Mimosa Salon

If you’re looking for some mid-week relaxation, treat yourself with a trip to Mimosa Salon on I Street.

Read More

Best Relaxing Nature Spot

Editors’ Choice

Meridian Hill Park

In a city ridden with business casual attire, stop-and-go traffic and relentless political banter, Meridian Hill Park is a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of the workweek.

Read More

Best place to buy Juul pods

Editors’ Choice

FoBoGro

Gone are the days of treks to restock on pods because FoBoGro accommodates your nicotine addiction close to home.

Read More