Best first date (if you’re paying): Improv show at DC Improv

DC Improv Comedy Club, located at 1140 Connecticut Ave. NW, makes humor on the first date easy.

Location: 1140 Connecticut Ave. NW
Readers’ pick: Captain Cookie and stroll to the White House

There’s a lot of pressure to be funny on the first date, but DC Improv Comedy Club makes it easy.

Only a 15-minute walk from campus, this hilarious first date spot will provide the laughs for both you and won’t burn a hole in your wallet.

With past guests like comedians Ellen DeGeneres, Dave Chappelle and Brian Regan, DC Improv is the place to catch up-and-coming stars before they become the next big thing. Bollywood actor and comedian Vir Das, former The Daily Show writer and contributor Michelle Wolf and radio comedian Jim Norton have all taken the stage so far this year.

You’ll need to buy tickets in advance for the Friday night headliners at 7:30 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., but other shows rarely sell out – making an easy weeknight date. Shows at D.C. Improv typically last between 90 and 120 minutes and range from $6 to $26 tickets, depending on the performer and time. But there are more than 10 events each month under $20.

For those looking to impress their date with their own humor, open mics are offered one Wednesday a month. If the spotlight isn’t your place, then stake your intellectual superiority at monthly trivia nights.

The lounge seats 60 people with the smallest tables seating four, so you and your date can snuggle up with another couple or make new friends. Once the routine begins, you can cut the small talk and soak up the laughter, which is perfect if your date starts to feature awkward silences.

The menu – that includes salads, pastas, potato skins or a Reese’s peanut butter pie – is limited at the later shows but still offers options ideal for sharing. Most of the food and drink items on the menu are less than $12, so you can break the ice – but not your bank account – on a date at D.C. Improv.