Best campus musician or band: Michael Ferrier, ‘The Plantain Papi’

Sophomore Michael Ferrier has released two mixtapes and performed at venues like Bourbon Coffee and a bar in Glover Park called Mason Inn.

Readers’ pick: The Colonies

Students know the rapper Drake, also known as The Champagne Papi, but they may not know The Plantain Papi – who scored The Hatchet’s pick for best campus musician.

Michael Ferrier is known as The Plantain Papi, which came from his roots in Jamaica where plantains are popular. The sophomore started making music in high school, but since the R&B and hip-hop artist landed in the District, he’s been performing shows and releasing mixtapes.

Ferrier said he has been interested in music since he was born, but began taking it seriously in high school because he was bored in the classroom and wanted to pursue music instead.

“I just love it, so I just did it,” he said. “My friends and I all got together and made a lot of music.”

Ferrier has released two mixtapes and performed at venues like Bourbon Coffee – for an open mic night – and a bar in Glover Park called Mason Inn around the District. He will perform at Tropicalia Lounge, located at 2001 14th St. NW, Thursday.

His albums consist mainly of low-key R&B tracks with emotional lyrics about his love life, friends and dreams. The slow melodies and soulful sound are influenced by artists like John Legend and John Mayer, whom Ferrier named as some of his favorite artists.

Ferrier released his second and latest album, “Cuffin’ Season,” in November on Soundcloud. The album, which he considers his best work yet, features two of his top hits, “THINK ABOUT ME” and “Broke.”

The artist is currently working on an album with his friend, sophomore Alphonso Bonds, taking inspiration from the Black Panther soundtrack, which is set to be released in April.

When creating a song – sometimes in just 10 minutes – Ferrier said inspiration typically strikes late at night or at random times throughout the day – like when he’s eating from his favorite food truck, Rolling Cow.

In the future, Ferrier said he plans to build a community around his music and branch out to perform at more venues in the District.

“You gotta wait for the inspiration to hit you, and when it does you gotta figure out how to convert that and write lyrics,” Ferrier said. “It takes a lot, but it’s all fun. It’s just part of the grind.”