Best bar crawl block: U Street between 13th and 14th streets

U Street between 13th and 14th streets has an ideal combination of bars and food options to ensure a successful bar crawl.

Updated: April 2, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.

Readers’ pick: U Street between 14th and 15th streets

For lightweights and amateurs, bar crawls can be risky business.

D.C. has elevated the bar crawl to a whole new level, as many areas of the city feature a variety of spots in close proximity. With so many different drink specials and multiple locations to hit, you’ll be tempted to try a different cocktail in each pub.

But even if you go overboard, the bars on U Street between 13th and 14th streets are worth the crawl. From upscale drinking to start off the night to singing in dingy dive bars toward the end, this block of U Street checks all the boxes for the perfect pub crawl.

Start the evening off with some salsa – both the dip and the dance. Alero, located at 1334 U St NW, will offer large portions of tasty Mexican dishes to fuel up for the night of alcohol consumption. Go for a half pitcher of frozen margaritas ($16.99) and a plate of chicken fajitas ($16.99) as the restaurant transforms into a club.

Before the night gets too wild, make a stop at Pure Lounge, located at 1326 U St. NW. This chic, high-end lounge has DJs and dancing on the first floor, and cocktails and bottle service upstairs to conclude the classier part of the night.

Then head down the road a block to sing along to popular hits from the late 90s at Codmother, a dive bar that won’t judge you for stumbling through the doors. The brick walls in the 14th Street basement bar are covered in chalk and the crowds can get rowdy – so sing a couple of your favorite oldies and grab some of their free-flowing PBR ($3) before heading out.

Finish the night out across the street at Lost Society, located at 2001 14th St. NW, on their rooftop deck to get a view of the street you just conquered. Open until 3 a.m. on the weekends, you can stay until you find the strength to grab some late-night food before hitting the hay.

This area of U Street offers the ideal menu for drunk food to help you sober up at the end of the night. Go for a slice of pizza bigger than your head at Jumbo Slice or a classic Big Mac at McDonald’s on 14th Street.

If you are looking for a little more variety on your next night out, head to U Street between 13th and 14th streets. Take the risk, because four bars are always better than one.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported the location of the bar crawl in the headline. It is now updated. We regret this error.