Best activity for out-of-towners: Newseum

The Newseum is one of the few museums in the District to charge an enterance fee, but the exhibits make it worth every penny for out-of-towners.

Location: 555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Readers’ pick: Night walk around the monuments

In a city known for its free museums, the Newseum’s $24.95 regular admission price can be a hard sell for out-of-towners – but it’s worth the high price tag.

Any local will be quick to tell you that forking over those extra dollars is a wise choice to make the most of your trip to the District. Located in the heart of D.C., the Newseum captures the pulse of a city dominated by politics and defined by news cycles.

On your way in the museum, a glass case on the sidewalk next to the building holds about 80 front pages from newspapers around the world, which are updated daily. When entering the building, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the massive glass atrium that extends up the building’s six levels. The white modern paneling and flood of natural light emits an openness contradictory to the museum’s jam-packed interactive exhibits.

The Pulitzer Prize Photographs Gallery on the main floor will give you an overview of 20th-century history in one stunning award-winning picture from each year. Other fan-favorite exhibits include the 9/11 Gallery featuring artifacts from the attacks and the “Inside Today’s FBI” exhibit, which explores the FBI’s fight against terrorism and other crimes.

For those touring with children, check out the permanent exhibit “First Dogs: American Presidents and Their Pets” to see past White House prized pooches. And you’ll leave with a picture of yourself as a television newscaster at the “Be a TV Reporter Photo Op!” But if you want a family picture with the District in the background, head to the Newseum’s rooftop to have the city and the National Mall in the backdrop.

If you’re feeling nostalgic, visit the “Headlines of History” exhibit to flip through original newspaper front pages featuring the biggest news stories from the past 500 years or explore the Bloomberg Internet, TV and Radio Gallery to trace the history of news dissemination.

The Newseum’s compelling exhibits provide something for everyone, and it’s nearly impossible to appreciate all its offerings in one day. Luckily, tickets are good for two days in a row.