Weekend outlook – Get your geek on at Awesome Con

Visit+the+District%E2%80%99s+weekend-long+comic+convention+to+snap+photos+with+stars+such+as+%E2%80%9CGuardians+of+the+Galaxys+Michael+Rooker+and+Sean+Gunn+at+Walter+E.+Washington+Convention+Center.+
Sam Frey | Hatchet Photographer
Visit the District’s weekend-long comic convention to snap photos with stars such as “Guardians of the Galaxy’s” Michael Rooker and Sean Gunn at Walter E. Washington Convention Center.

Say goodbye to March this weekend while geeking out at a comic convention, marveling at soaring kites on the National Mall and checking out a brand new National Gallery of Art exhibit.

Friday

Awesome Con

Visit the first day of the District’s weekend-long comic convention to snap photos with stars like Michael Rooker and Sean Gunn from “Guardians of the Galaxy.” The convention, which is just off the Mt. Vernon Square Metro, has several panels including how-to’s on developing dynamic characters and learning makeup techniques used on your favorite movie stars. Dress up and enter to win prizes at the costume contest or stroll down the exhibit hall for dozens of vendors selling original art of your favorite heroes and villains. And bring your game face to the convention to participate in NBA Jam and Action Castle tournaments from noon to 11 p.m.

Walter E. Washington Convention Center, 801 Mt. Vernon Place NW. Noon to 8 p.m. $40 Friday admission.

Saturday

Blossom Kite Festival

If cold temperatures stopped you from laying on the National Mall this winter, flock back to the outdoors this Saturday for the seventh annual Blossom Kite Festival, part of D.C.’s National Cherry Blossom Festival that lasts until April 15. Bring your own kite to fly or keep your eyes on the sky as enthusiasts from across the globe soar their decorative kites. Don’t miss experts face-off at the hour-long Hot Tricks Showdown at 1:30 p.m. or the Japanese six-sided kite fight, the Rokkaku Battle, at 2:45 p.m.

Washington Monument Grounds, 2 15th St. NW. 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Free.

Sunday

Sharing Images: Renaissance Prints into Maiolica and Bronze

Immerse yourself in more than 90 objects of art on the opening day of “Sharing Images: Renaissance Prints Into Maiolica and Bronze,” which lasts until August 5. The exhibit will be arranged chronologically and convey the history of how printed images were created into bronze plaquettes and ceramics in 15th-century Europe. It will also show the influence of image replication on various artists at the time. The collection, displaying prints after canonical artists such as Michelangelo, Albrecht Durer and Raphael, will highlight the replication of famous images in challenging art around places such as Renaissance Italy and northern Europe.

National Gallery of Art West Building. Sixth and Constitution Ave. NW. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free.