Fact check: A look at the misleading claims from candidates’ platforms

[gwh_image id=”1052316″ credit=”” align=”right” size=”embedded-img”][/gwh_image]

Candidates for the top spots in the Student Association try to fill their platforms with fresh proposals and ideas, but some points aren’t backed with foolproof research.

The Hatchet examined each of the candidate’s platforms and pulled some points candidates may have gotten wrong or context they overlooked. Here’s how the candidates’ claims hold up:

Platform point
Junior Ashley Le, an SA presidential candidate, said she would demand officials release the recommendations from its external Title IX review – which the University announced in July. She said officials have not yet released the recommendations from the review, conducted by the law firm Cozen O’Connor, despite promising to do so.

Fact check
Officials did not promise to release the recommendations from the review, but they said that any “enhancements” to the Title IX office resulting from the review would be announced this academic year. No such updates have been announced thus far.

Platform point
Junior and SA presidential candidate Imani Ross said in her platform that she will create a “State of the GW Address” where the University president, chair of the Board of Trustees, leader of the Faculty Senate executive committee and SA president will come together to discuss “goals, vision and accomplishments” for the University.

Fact check
At Board of Trustees meetings – which occur three times a year – all of those University leaders, as well as the head of the Alumni Association, present updates to trustees, officials and any other attendees about their agendas. The “open session” portion of the meetings are always open to the public.

Platform point
Sophomore Ojani Walthrust, who is running for executive vice president, said he would nominate an executive cabinet member to represent the Alternative Greek and Multicultural Greek Council communities.

Fact check
The executive vice president does not have the authority to appoint representatives to the executive cabinet – Only the SA president has that power. After a racist Alpha Phi Snapchat incident sparked outrage on campus last month, the SA Senate also pledged to create an MGC cabinet member. SA President Peak Sen Chua said he already plans to appoint that representative in about two weeks.

Platform point
Doctoral candidate and executive vice presidential candidate Brady Forrest said he wants to encourage graduate students to use their GWorld cards to take advantage of discounted meal packages, which would, in turn, bring GW more money from the 10 percent cut the University takes from all GWorld swipes. He said if more graduate students used their GWorld, officials would be incentivized to increase “the number and affordability of meal deals.”

Fact check
The University has been attempting to increase the number of meal deal vendors, which offer meal packages for $6, $8 or $10 meals, over the past year but has struggled to incentivize vendors to offer meal deals to students. After a summer of recruitment efforts from officials last year, only one vendor decided to offer a discount to students. Currently, 23 vendors offer a meal deal discount and eight offer other discounts.